- This has happened to just about everyone I know in Oneonta.
- Why do we hate women so much?
- This might be my favorite sub-genre for escaping from the world for a while.
- If you don't laugh at at least one of these, you might be dead.
- Wisdom from Wooderson.
- A beer run I can support.
- Believe it or not, this isn't about you and your boner.
- Apparently, the ultimate answer is 63.
- When you know.
- Don’t think they can’t come for you.
(I intended to publish this on Friday and, um, forgot. So ....)
"Watching Carter Page immolate himself and incriminate a half dozen of his colleagues from the Trump-Putin 2016 campaign has been a strange, almost guilty pleasure. Profoundly disconnected, socially awkward, and reeking of late-stage virginity, he gives off the creepy Uncanny Valley vibe of a rogue, possibly murderous android or of a man with a too-extensive knowledge of human taxidermy and a soundproofed van. "
-- Rick Wilson on Carter Page. You really should read the whole thing.
"Tuesday, voters — some angry, some hopeful despite themselves — went to the polls and told a different story: the first openly trans woman elected to the Virginia legislature, a surge of female Democratic candidates across the nation, many of them victorious."
-- Lindy West, Brave Enough to be Angry.
Readers, all. It's been a bit of a week (and it's only Wednesday). Not only did I have a chance to take a selfie with Shalane Flanagan at the finish line of the New York City marathon on Sunday (long story that will be told later), I was one of the women swept into office in this surge. Which isn't to say that the sweeping didn't require a lot of work, just that it was part of a much larger movement that I am proud to be a part of. This is where anger can get you, if you channel it right.
"Who is this DIVINE SHRUBBERY of EXISTENTIAL GRIEF?"
- The Fug girls on Grace Jones is what we all need right now.
I've been running around like a woman chased by bees for the last few days and haven't had a lot of computer time. So only two links, plus some shameless promotion.
And for the shameless promotion: Look! A Dry Martini column at AMR! This one is about a PR and a road trip.
"I hear you.
You are shocked.
You have daughters.
You wish to express your outrage and solidarity with women.
You wish to let us know that you would protect us from harm.
You think Harvey Weinstein is a monster.
You proclaim that WE must ALL do BETTER for our WOMEN.
None of this is "incorrect." These are all "right" answers. And I know you genuinely feel upset and angry and staggered at the scope of the crime.
But I'm going to bring you into the inner circle right now, guys:
I DON'T REALLY BELIEVE YOU. NONE OF US DO.
We can't afford to.
I know and like hundreds of nice guys, and I trust 3 men on this entire fucking Earth."
"This has to stop. Instead of saying, “You cannot smoke in here,” we are telling every woman, “there is going to be smoke in the restaurant, so encase yourself entirely in protective sheeting.” Instead of saying, “Do not go around lighting people on fire,” we are telling women, “Don’t be flammable.” But you can’t be human and not be flammable. This is not like walking down a dark alley and getting mugged, because for that to be true you have to have the option of not walking down the dark alley."
- While I think a bit of what Ada is describing applies more to those who live a different (more urban, more social) life than I do, I can honestly say that I, too, know this rage. And exhaustion.
- Further proof that a marathon is not just two half-marathons.
- Oh, space. You are so full of mysteries.
- Speaking of mysteries...(and if memory serves, there was a webcam that documented its decomposition.)
- Career death: a love story.
- Scott Miller: Songwriter and cowman (and friend).
- A fundamental truth of being female.
- One of the reasons why I loved TV's Dirk Gently. No, it wasn't (just) the corgi.
- Wise trees.
- Road trip!