- While I think a bit of what Ada is describing applies more to those who live a different (more urban, more social) life than I do, I can honestly say that I, too, know this rage. And exhaustion.
- Further proof that a marathon is not just two half-marathons.
- Oh, space. You are so full of mysteries.
- Speaking of mysteries...(and if memory serves, there was a webcam that documented its decomposition.)
- Career death: a love story.
- Scott Miller: Songwriter and cowman (and friend).
- A fundamental truth of being female.
- One of the reasons why I loved TV's Dirk Gently. No, it wasn't (just) the corgi.
- Wise trees.
- Road trip!
“Own the strangeness of who you are."
Kiese Laymon drops a lot of truth in this short interview about writing and teaching. (ht nerak)
- Sign. Me. Up. (but the club will need better lighting.)
- The Blague is back!
- Will SCIF be the word of the year?
- Here for it.
- I have had this exact same thought. Happy (within reasonable bounds of happy) to have it echoed.
- Can a person sauna for four years? Asking for a friend.
- This is how reporting works.
"Our challenge is not to play that game better, or find our own scapegoats, or make people even angrier. That’s easy. The harder part is getting people to see politics not as a small, petty, daily game, but as that big, hopeful, unfinished movement to inch America ever-closer to its founding promise. The harder part is inspiring people to believe again."
-- Jon Favreau, American Awakening.
- I've chipped in $20 to read Farah on Heinlein....
- How the tutus are made.
- Ungrateful is the new uppity.
- When to worry.
- “You’ll still be the hero of this story."
- A new focus for the CDC.
- Two things about this piece - 1) I might need to go to WorldCon in 2018 and 2) I really need to re-read the Callahan books.
- Distillery cat wanted.
- One day, I'd like to be half as badassed as Helen Mirren.
"Like a soda promising happiness, a beer promising machismo, or a cereal promising health, Megyn Kelly is promising apoliticism ..."
-- Slate's Willa Paskin on Megyn Kelly's morning show.
I’ve been traveling thither and yon all week so I haven’t had a chance to collect many links. However, I have a golden oldie that never, ever ages: It’s Decorative Gourd Season, Motherfuckers.
"The book of my enemy has been remaindered
And I am pleased.
In vast quantities it has been remaindered
Like a van-load of counterfeit that has been seized
And sits in piles in a police warehouse,
My enemy's much-prized effort sits in piles
In the kind of bookshop where remaindering occurs...."