(Click on the photo to order from the retailer of your choice.)
At the end of most years, I do a sermon at the Unitarian Universalist Society of Oneonta. This year was one of those years. It sounded like this.
Lobo is, in short, a gigantic goober. He origin story is also a total mystery.
Because I had some spare Christmas cash, I decided to see what science could tell us about this majestic beast. A couple of weeks later, I have the results.
What's surprising is how much husky is in there. We figured there was some but not that much. What's also surprising is that there is no shepherd, which means I should stop calling him a husky-shepherd mix. I didn't expect the Akita, either, but here we are.
Also surprising: the DNA service also gives descriptions of each breed's most prominent traits. All three of those are described as intelligent, loyal, and stubborn. So two out of three isn't bad.
Most surprising of all, however, is that this wanna-be sled dog wound up on a Caribbean beach. That's the mystery I most want to solve and the one that is most difficult to unravel.
- Shipwreck, scandal, and homesickness.
- For my money, the crew in Spotlight comes the closest.
- "... and Amazon Prime."
- For the record, the publisher of my forthcoming book also publishes some writers (like Bill O'Reilly) whose work makes me itch. However, those titles make titles like mine possible. It's a weird business.
- They key quote: "...we're actually paying more to store our stuff than we are to store ourselves."
- On being a traitor.
- Tag yourself. I'm the cobweb one.
- I spent a not insignificant amount of time in Japan being amazed by the baked goods.
My latest column for another mother runner is alive. In this one, the fates smile kindly upon my run in Rehoboth.
First up, over at Another Mother Runner, my latest column is live. In it, I am visited by the fates.
Second, I happened to stumble over this old interview with Alton Brown I did. While I think the piece turned out okay, all I remember from that day was trying to not throw up in his lap because I was still in the puke-y stage of pregnancy. Good times.
A bit of shameless self-promo, first. This week, I was the cohost on the Another Mother Runner podcast. We talked about the idea/quest of running a race in all 50 states. In the intro, tho, I gave Sarah the low-down on how my daughter hit our house with my new (to me) car last week. It's been ... fun? The pod is here.
- Our hills create champions.
- Empathy binge.
- This guy reminds me so much of our departed Mooch, who was also a spicy a-hole.
- Is this melancholy or is this peace?
- It's harder to be kind than clever.
- You're not going to believe this.
- Does it make you happy?
- Another entry in the "people are really interesting" file.
- I wish I were a student again.
Over at Another Mother Runner, a few words and a bunch of pictures about my Tucson half.