First, a shameless promo: Some runs inspire hate, over at Another Mother Runner.
“She’d come to her job inside the little box marked ‘Rural Development’ without any particular ambition to be there. The sums of money at her disposal were incredible: the little box gave our or guaranteed $30 billion in loans or grants a year. But people who should have known about it hadn’t the first clue what it was up to. ‘I had this conversation with elected and state officials almost everywhere in the South,’ said Salerno. ‘Them: We hate the government and you suck. Me: My mission alone put $1 billion into your economy this year, so are you sure about that? Me thinking: We are the only reason your shitty state is standing.’"
-- The Fifth Risk by Michael Lewis. Highly recommend.
"It doesn’t matter how scared you are; everyone is scared. Work. Work is the only thing that takes the curse of fear away."
-- Jerry Saltz: How to Be an Artist (which while it is focused more on visual arts really applies to any creative field.)
- This isn’t wrong. Related: I am so glad I’m old enough to not have to have dealt with the Elf on a Shelf nonsense. If you enjoy it, great! But, man, some of this holiday stuff is soooooo much work.
- Road trip! Also: Road trip!
- It really is a versatile fiber.
- Shop wisely.
- A college friend had a dog like this (may he rest in peace). Super smart. Such an asshole.
- Unnerving fun with photoshop.
- News you can use.
- One of the more dangerous things a woman can do.
- Just in case.
- Things we'd like to know.
A small shameless promo: my review of NPR's Peter Sagal's Incomplete Book of Running is over at Another Mother Runner. TL:DR verison -- it's pretty good.
Let me tell you about my weird run last weekend, over at Another Mother Runner....
- We have to be the helpers, not just look for them.
- Maybe lie down?
- Sometimes you just have to revisit Dogs in Elk.
- On vapor ware and coffins.
- Can you imagine?
- A niche market, so to speak. (NSFW-ish)
- George Saunders explains it all for you.
- I NEED ALL OF THESE.
- There’s no reason why a woman can’t win it.