Once upon a time, Lisa and Adrienne worked for the same alternative newsweekly. Now, both spend their respective lives mining their creative souls and leading hermit-like lives. And so an idea was hatched. Every week, one would send the other a sketch—either in illustration or word form—and the other would make a companion to the sketch. The result would be posted on both their blogs every week, just for grins. Even if the result isn't award-worthy, the exercise makes both minds more nimble. Hopefully.
What am I thinking about?
- how much better I feel knowing that Willie Nelson is alive and in the world.
- where all of the money goes.
- how under-rated really good noodles are. And how I wish I had some.
- why you should never wear mauve to the ball. Or pink. Or open your mouth.
- how it’s always both more and less complicated than you thought it would be.
- how much I like a good list.
- why all of the shoes need to be underfoot.
- how smartphones have changed the political landscape.
- how everything should have a “like” button.
- and how difficult it is to get brownie crumbs out of your keyboard.
Text ©Adrienne Martini; illustration ©Lisa Horstman. Until the end of time. Or something.
Just so that you can prepare yourselves emotionally: Up With Figs will be taking a brief summer vacation. Fruity drinks may be involved. Figs will return on July 13.