Once upon a time, Lisa and Adrienne worked for the same alternative newsweekly. Now, both spend their respective lives mining their creative souls and leading hermit-like lives. And so an idea was hatched. Every week, one would send the other a sketch—either in illustration or word form—and the other would make a companion to the sketch. The result would be posted on both their blogs every week, just for grins. Even if the result isn't award-worthy, the exercise makes both minds more nimble. Hopefully.
Things that ought not be baked in a pie:
- Four and 20 blackbirds, for obvious reasons involving cliches.
- Fingernails, not even those of your enemies.
- Under-ripe peaches.
- The transmission of a 2007 Kia Sportage.
- Eels. Please. Stop with the eels. No one likes them.
- Yo mama.
- Soylent green. No, not even if it is a loose homage to Sweeney Todd.
- The gunk you pulled out of the sink drain. Why would you even think that was a good idea?
- Your left Birkenstock. It is, however, OK to bake the right one.
Text ©Adrienne Martini; illustration ©Lisa Horstman. Until the end of time. Or something.